Namaste,
Earlier this year, my grandmother passed away. She was the kindest, most compassionate person I have ever known. Even wild animals trusted her. I remember once she was sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard very still. She motioned for me not to move and I watched in wonder as a squirrel approached with its baby in its mouth. The squirrel put the baby at my grandmother's feet then scurried up the tree and brought her babies one by one and laid them at my grandmothers feet. She then went to another tree made a new nest and came back and retrieved her babies one by one.
So for this exercise it was easy to visualize my grandmother as my inner healer. In my mind's eye I could see her. Her ivory white skin, her pink lips and her silver gray hair curled and held back with bobby pins. I could feel her love and compassion and feel it transfer to me. I was filled with loving-kindness I felt it course through my body like a warm golden syrup filling me with goodness.
I have used this exercise on a number of occasions and it makes me feel more whole, happier and vital.
Earlier this year, my grandmother passed away. She was the kindest, most compassionate person I have ever known. Even wild animals trusted her. I remember once she was sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard very still. She motioned for me not to move and I watched in wonder as a squirrel approached with its baby in its mouth. The squirrel put the baby at my grandmother's feet then scurried up the tree and brought her babies one by one and laid them at my grandmothers feet. She then went to another tree made a new nest and came back and retrieved her babies one by one.
So for this exercise it was easy to visualize my grandmother as my inner healer. In my mind's eye I could see her. Her ivory white skin, her pink lips and her silver gray hair curled and held back with bobby pins. I could feel her love and compassion and feel it transfer to me. I was filled with loving-kindness I felt it course through my body like a warm golden syrup filling me with goodness.
I have used this exercise on a number of occasions and it makes me feel more whole, happier and vital.
In the health and
wellness profession, you should practice the same things you recommend to your
clients. Why would I change my diet, my exercise or start meditation or use
other techniques if my healthcare provider didn’t live a lifestyle that
included these daily habits. As healthcare providers we owe it to our clients to
develop all aspects of our health which includes psychologically, physically
and spiritually.
Taking time each day,
preferably in the morning, for a mental workout sets the stage for the rest of
our day and helps us to implement psychological and spiritual growth.
That is very amazing about the squirrel. You do not see wild animals trusting in humans. When I was married to my first husband, his cousin and I went to town and we lived out in the country. We seen a doe by the edge of the road, Alice pulled over and the doe just looked at us. I slowly got out of the car and said gently here deer deer deer and the deer was s tarting to come towards me. I held out my hand and the deer got 2 feet in front of me and a car came racing by and startled it and it took of running, so I often wonder, if it was not for that car, would that deer of came closer to me? I believe it would of. Excellent post.
ReplyDeleteSusan,
ReplyDeleteWow. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. :) I could just picture you and your Grandmother sitting there. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. What a cool story you shared! My Grandmother and I are best friends. In fact, we spent the whole day together today. She has always been there for me and I can tell her anything. So I know the feeling of being so close to your Grandma. I can't imagine my life without her but I know that one day I will have to be.
I'm glad that you enjoyed doing this exercise. This class is a great one to take!
Have a wonderful week!
Jess
Susan,
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed reading your posts this semester. They always bring warmth to my heart. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story about you grandmother. From your story I can imagine myself there and watching the squirrel drop her young off one by one. Awesome work!